We were having a very enjoyable al-fresco elevenses beside the river at Staines when Simon, very ominously, stood up, demanded silence, and began to make an announcement. Oh crikey, I thought, I've been rumbled at last. In front of everyone, including our chair and our secretary, my bicycle pump is going to be ceremonially broken in two, my CTC badge torn off, and I'm going to be formally (and rightly) expelled from the group for disservices to cycling! And not before time, either, you say!
Imagine my surprise when, instead of suffering this fate, Andy C and I were presented with impressive 'certificates of appreciation' from CUK for services rendered. Many thanks, everyone, your appreciation is greatly appreciated!
Anyway, somewhat discombobulated, I began the ride I was due to lead to Camberley. All went without incident until we were near Blacknest, when my chainset decided to spontaneously deconstruct itself! It is somewhat disconcerting to suddenly find your left foot still connected to a pedal and crank which are no longer connected to your bike!
It could easily have been far worse! Fortunately, the rest of the group managed to avoid me, and I managed to recover and refit enough parts to get mobile again, if not 100% roadworthy. My first thoughts were to abandon my ride, and Simon very kindly offered to take over the lead, but, after brief reflection, I saw I had to get home somehow and seemed a good idea to ride along with the group for a bit and see how things went.
As it happened, there were no further problems, and things worked out better than I had hoped, although I was, by now doubly-discombobulated! I stopped to check my bolts every now and again, and in the end, was able to enjoy lunch at The Claude Duvall with the group, and then lead them on to tea at Great Cockcrow Railway. How fortunate for them! I don't doubt it will be of great comfort to C & M riders in future to know that have two certified people to lead them!
Many thanks to everyone for your company, and for putting up with a more than usually disjointed ride from me, and special thanks to Simon, and to Andy for back-marking, and the usual photo credits to all.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment. Comments are occasionally sent to the admins for approval, so your comment may not appear immediately.